detail content area
- Date2020-01-27 13:51
- Update2020-02-02 13:41
- DivisionDivision of Risk assessment and International Cooperation
The fourth imported case of 2019 novel coronavirus(2019-nCoV) has been confirmed in Korea
○ The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(KCDC) has confirmed the fourth imported case of 2019 novel coronavirus(2019-nCoV) from Wuhan, Hubei Province, China on 27 January 2020.
○ The case is a 55-year-old Korean male who visited Wuhan and returned to Korea on 20 January. He went to a local clinic and got treated for cold on 21 January. He visited the clinic once again on 25 January for fever and muscle pain. The clinic reported him to the local public health center, and he has been under active monitoring since then. On 26 January, he was diagnosed of pneumonia and classified as patient under investigation(PUI). On the same day, he was tested in isolation at the national designated isolation hospital. As of 27 January, he was confirmed of positive for 2019-nCoV. The in-depth epidemiological investigation is currently underway, and the result will be shared with the public soon.
○ KCDC has also shared with the public the updates on the third confirmed case. The third case had 74 contacts, one of which was classified as PUI due to the symptoms but diagnosed as negative for 2019-nCoV. The rest of the contacts have not experienced any symptoms yet. However, KCDC is closely monitoring his family and acquaintances through active surveillance or home quarantine for possible infection.
○ Disinfection measures were completed over the health facilities and hotel the patient had visited and stayed. Other places, currently closed for Lunar New Year holidays, such as restaurants and convenience stores, will be undergone the disinfection process once the holiday is over.
○ As of 27 January, 2020, four cases have been confirmed for 2019-nCoV in Korea. PUIs are 57, one of which are currently being tested and the rest were already discharged and sent home after diagnosed as negative.
* Link to further information in Korean : https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a20501000000&bid=0015&act=view&list_no=365876&tag=&nPage=1#