detail content area
- Date2020-01-31 18:13
- Update2020-02-02 13:49
- DivisionDivision of Risk assessment and International Cooperation
The updates on the novel Coronavirus infection in Korea
○ The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) has released the results of the epidemiological investigation on the confirmed cases (5th, 6th, and 7th cases)
○ The 5th confirmed case, 33-year-old Korean male, had visited Wuhan and returned on 24 January. He did not have any symptoms on the day of arrival but developed malaise on 26th. The contacts of the case were 10 in total including his family members, one of which(#9 confirmed case) was tested positive of 2019 novel Coronavirus(2019-nCoV) on 31st January.
○ The 6th confirmed case, 55-year-old Korean male, dined together with the 3rd confirmed case on 22 January. He have been under active monitoring since the 3rd case was confirmed on 26th, and he tested positive on 30th. A total of eight contacts were isolated in home, two of which(#10 and #11 confirmed cases), his family members, got tested positive on 31st. In-depth investigation on these additional cases are currently underway.
○ The 7th confirmed case, 28-year-old Korean male, had visited Wuhan and returned to Korea via Qingdao on 23 January. He developed the symptoms on 26th. Two contacts including the family member, are ioslated in home.
○ KCDC has also confirmed the 8th case, a 62-year-old Korean female returning from Wuhan via Qingdao on 23 January. She is currently isolated at the national designated isolation hospital. The epidemiological investigation is being conducted.
○ As of 31 January, the confirmed cases in Korea are 11 in total.
○ WHO declared Public Health Emergency of International Concern on the current outbreak of 2019-nCoV on 30 January. KCDC updated risk assessment and strengthened the response measures accordingly.
* Link to the further information in Korea :